The CORE system1 consists of four basic strategies for effective learning:
Start by collecting the information needed for the test.
- Attend all classes and labs.
- Read your textbooks and other assigned readings.
After organizing, it is time to rehearse the information. Rehearsal will help you recall the information needed for tests.
- Develop deep understanding by connecting new knowledge to something you already know or to something in your life.
- Develop recall by using repetition or rote rehearsal.
Finally, use self-testing to evaluate your readiness for your upcoming test.
- Anticipate what might be on the test and ask yourself critical questions.
- Ask a friend or classmate to quiz you. Many textbooks have end-of-chapter quizzes that you can use.
- Complete practice exams.
1Downing, S. (2013). On course. Cengage Learning. 25-26.