Notes should encourage you to:
- take a more active (thinking) role in a lecture
- remember principles, facts, and ideas more accurately and for a longer period of time
- think more clearly and be more organized when it comes time to study for exams or prepare for papers or projects
Take a moment to look over your class notes -- do they help with any of the above points?
Common Note-Taking Struggles
Note-taking may be necessary for college success, but it’s not always easy. Do your notes suffer from any of these common problems?
- You write too little or struggle to write everything that’s being said
- Your instructor’s rate of speech is too slow or too fast
- Difficulties seeing or hearing things in the classroom result in poor notes
- A lack of knowledge of the subject area of the class makes for incomplete notes